Sunday, October 25, 2009

HOME – The Drama & Documentary

October 22, 2009 – 11:53 am

I once visited a small Burmese refugee residence here in Kuala Lumpur. They are all here due to many reasons like health, military ruling, poverty and etc. in their country and they need a place they could call home.

It was in January 2008 where (read about my visit) I visited this small refugee home and I took this video below. Watching it again, I miss this place and I do hope they are still around, with better support of course.



Then, recently I found out that there is a drama and documentary made about the Burmese refugee here in Malaysia.

I can’t remember where I picked this up, but I knew that I saved it in my “Read Later” Tab on Firefox.

The Drama


HOME is a short drama about the journey of Burmese refugee Roi Roi’s search for a home in Malaysia.




The Documentary


Many Burmese refugees flee to Malaysia to escape the tyranny of their country’s military junta. Despite surviving a grueling journey across the borders of Thailand and Malaysia, many find themselves victims of human rights abuse and human trafficking in Malaysia. This is a documentary that unveils the heartbreaking stories of Burmese refugees in Malaysia through testimonials of their horrific experiences.


There will be a film screening this coming 23rd October at The Annexe Gallery at 8.00 PM. It is presented by SUARAM and for further info, you can call 03-77843525 (SUARAM).

Unfortunately, I can’t make it to this event… as I will be flying off in approximately 20 hours to a perfect “honeymoon” with my love one.



Can someone please update me on the outcome of this drama and documentary if you happen to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment