Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Living in exile and despair

ORIGINATING from Yangon, Arkarmoe fled from the military junta and sought shelter in Mae Sot, Thailand, for nine months before he made his way to Malaysia.
The 27-year-old social activist and journalist said he was denied a chance to pursue a doctorate because he criticised the education system in Myanmar.
Armed with a strong desire to let the world know what is happening in Myanmar, Arkarmoe turned to the social media to disseminate news and information. Since arriving in Malaysia, he has been helping Burma Refugee Organisation (BRO) to set up its bilingual website http://www.bromalaysia.com/
“I don’t know how long I have to wait for the refugee identity card. We are living in exile and we cannot do anything,” he said.
Fellow refugee Kamikaze, 28, stayed in the forest in Thailand for 20 days before he contacted BRO and arrived in Malaysia.
“I have lost my way and have no one to depend on. I shudder to think of my fate if I had not found BRO,” he said.
As the junta harass his family members about his whereabouts, he has not been keeping in touch with his parents and younger brother for two years.
“I want to see my country achieving democracy. So far, my life is rough and full of struggles. I do not wish to see the younger generation suffer like me,” he said.
When asked about what lies ahead, Arkarmoe said with a tinge of despair in his voice: “I cannot see my future. I feel like a dying old man, a prisoner.

No comments:

Post a Comment