Saturday, January 8, 2011

Second school for Myanmar children

PUCHONG: The Burma Refugee Organization (BRO) yesterday opened its second school here in conjunction with the 63rd anniversary of its home country's independence.
The new school at 19A Jalan Bandar 6/1, Pusat Bandar Puchong, also has a hostel for students aged 10 to 17.
At the opening, BRO chairman U Maung Hla said there were now 37 children enrolled in the new school. The first BRO school at 63/1A, Jalan Bandar 1, Pusat Bandar Puchong, was opened in 2007.
The children there have their breakfast at 7am and start their lessons by 9am, Mondays to Fridays.
They finish lessons at 5pm, with a lunch break at noon.
The schools are funded by donations and partly aided by the Malaysian chapter of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
David, 14, is one of the students and said there were too many children in one class and therefore, they have to share books.
"I've been here for the past one year. I came here walking with my elder brother through the jungles. I joined BRO since they offered education and shelter to us. I am happy in Malaysia but I don't intend to stay here for the rest of my life."
It is run by volunteers like Sawywarmufhal, 27, who is also a translator in the BRO. He has been here for two months and translates his mother tongue into English.
"I am happy here in Malaysia as all my friends are here. I enjoy my work as a translator. I like the environment here. The children here usually eat rice with either chicken or pork and various vegetables."
The BRO chairman estimated there were now about 100,000 BRO members in Malaysia, most of whom are refugees.

No comments:

Post a Comment