Thursday, January 28, 2010

Burmese Refugees are treated like Animals

 A TRUE STORY OF BURMESE REFUGEES IN MALAYSIA

By Myanmar Refugees

                   So far I have never been writing anything about refugees in Malaysia but it is time for Myanmar Refugees to speak out for our rights. On 25th Jan, 2010, It was last Monday Evening, there was an Motorcycle Accident to Chin Woman Leader from the Community. She was with her 3 year-old daughter. The accident was unexpected but I cannot forget in my life.

                      Every Monday of the week, there is Pasar Malam in the area of Bukit Cheras. It looks like cheaper than other shopping mall and markets like Econsave. Before I went out from the house, my wife reminded me to come back home early in the evening because she was willing to go out for Pasar Malam with the family altogether saying that we don't usually have such chance. Let's go out together as a family for fun and buying some meat and vegetables.
                   
                       Being a community leader, I have to go out for many time to arrange all kinds of work for the community. I couldn't give time for my own family. As my wife reminded me, I went back home early and met my wife and children waiting for me downstairs. And we started going down to Pasar Malam. It was about 7.10 pm around. Pasar Malam was not very far from us, it takes us about 5 minutes to get there.

                      My younger daughter was with my wife and my son was along with me. Pasar Malam is just at the other side of the main road. The road has 2 ways. As soon as the traffic light turned "Red" , a long way of the cars were stopped before the traffic junction. Most of the people crossed the road to the other side. And my wife and I were starting to cross the road, we reached the mid-line of the road, we checked the other side of the traffic. The traffic was still Red and there was no car running in the other road. So, we started crossing the other side of the road to get to Pasar Malam. At the mid of the other side of the road, I heard the sound like something knocked. At the moment of my turn to that side, I saw my daughter was falling down from her mother's hand  to the ground, at the same time, my wife was going up and falling back down because of the high speed of Motorcycle. When my wife falling down , her head was knocked down with the road, and she was unable to get up. The traffic light turned "Green"and I was so shocked and I thought we all died on the spot at the same time. I was in a rush to pick them up but my wife was unable to get up and she didn't know what happened to her saying that  I am feeling dazing. I tried to take them away to a safe place. With the help of one of the chinese guy, they were moved to the safe place in time. The motorcycle was trying to go over all the cars to reach the front of the traffic, and he ride with a high speed through the other side of the road. And knocked my wife and my daughter from the back because my wife was paying attention to the cars stopping under the Red Traffic and she was in a rush to cross in time.

                        I understand that my wife was very hurt the whole body and cannot move any more. My daughter was also hurt and shocked , they cannot say even a word. I noted down the Motorcycle Number named as BGR 361. The motorcyclist stopped his cycle and shouted us crossing the road instead of saying "Sorry" or "Helping us". What a human! What religion belong to him? What kind of parents belong to him? What kind of school belong to him?

                     I was thinking a lot with anger. Why? He was complaining us. The 1st thing in my thought, I checked the place the accident took place and I checked whether we are wrong. As soon as I know we are not wrong, I talked him back we are right. Why? He was just complaining us without thinking a reasonable sources.

                   This is the reason that they know we are foreigners as well as we are Refugees here. They understand very well we have no protection, we have no law for our protection. For this reason, they never tried to take any responsible for accidents. There have been lots of Motor Accidents to Burmese Refugees. Nobody takes any responsibility for them. Mostly, they run away every after the accidents. As the second  point of view, the motorcycle accident rarely happens to Local people or Malaysian when they are crossing the road because they know the responsibility for the accident. The road accidents caused by Motorcyclists usually happens to only Foreigners because they see , they know who is crossing the road, and they speed up the motorcycle and knock down.

Why can I say this? 

             I have been working with burmese refugees in Malaysia for over two years as a community leader as well as a community health coordinator. There have been many Motor accidents with refugees, some  are dead and some have become a disabled. I have been handing Burmese Refugees with Motor accidents in Malaysia. Malaysia is a heaven space for Motorcyclists. No rules to ride in the right way. They usually ride up and down, back and front.You can simply see anywhere. In my country, the motor accidents rarely happen to the woman, child and aged people because the drivers and the motorcyclists have a kind heart to the people, especially to women, children and aged people, and even to the animals. Road accident is strictly prohibited by law. We are taught well when we go to driving training. Burmese refugees fled the country with fear of arrest and dead but there are lots of refugees died in the motor accidents in Malaysia. 

How much does it cost for the patient with the accident? 

              In Malaysia, Foreigners are charged with high pay. For refugees, the lowest is about RM 1000. I have paid for my wife and daughter for RM 900 for two days at the hospital. The refugees with motor accidents are usually hospitalized for months. Very sad to say, some become disabled. Refugees are not allowed to work and earn money for our living but we are charged with a high pay at the hospital.

How and where do we get money for treatment? 
               We, Refugees, practise Refugees help Refugees Program. We usually collect donation for the patient from our friends and members. If not enough, we request Local Ngos and christian churches for financial assistance. In this way of life, we become the Baggers of  Malaysia again.

Who are we?

 We are refugees called Illegal Immigrants by Local people under the law of Malaysia. And we are one of the human beings of the world named as Refugees as well as we are the people who are looking for Justice, peace, freedom and even a little protection for us.

To protect Refugees, there is no law but there is law for refugee , those who committed crime.

May the people be safe from Motor Accidents in  life, especially to the poor family!

To be continued





No comments:

Post a Comment