Thursday, January 28, 2010

What does it like to be a refugee ?

Although I believe that our world has hit a low point.. I'm convinced that things can and will get better. I strongly believe that in order to do this everyone needs to do their part. People need to make a difference in the world, no matter how small. That's why I have decided that I need to dedicate a portion of my life to helping others. I could make many excuses why this isn't a good time to volunteer, 'I'm so busy starting a business and working.. I just don't have time.' In reality we make time for whatever we want, no matter how busy we are. When someone tells you that they can't find time to go on a date.. it's because they aren't interested. That's all there is to it. And since I'm spending no time on dating.. I have time to volunteer. :)

I'm mentoring a family from Somalia through the resettlement refugee program of Lutheran Social Services. The mother and 2 small children arrived last Thursday. I can't imagine what they were thinking when I picked them up from the airport. The woman was put at high priority, which means she was probably abused, tortured, or raped. Most people stay in refugee camps for at least 8 years and at most 18 years. Most children that get resettled only know the camp life. This family was lucky to get out when they did. They fled Somalia to United Arab Emerates, then got a refugee visa to Malaysia, then spent the rest of their time in Thailand before coming here.

They speak no English, the mom has never been to school. This will make learning English more difficult, but not impossible. I gave a English lesson to everyone in the house(They are sharing the house with 4 other Somalians) on Sunday and another class tonight. I'm teaching very basic stuff; colors, days of the week, alphabet, numbers. The mom is struggling. She has to wrap her brain around the idea of writing and reading.. on top of speaking. She is writing some letters backwards. I brought them a box of toys and learning material. I taught them 'Head and shoulders, knees and toes.' They think it's hilarious. I've spent more time laughing with them during that one hour, then I have all day. They are great people. I don't have to speak their language to see that. When I leave they say, "Thank you sister."

I have no idea what it's like to have to leave your home because of violence. I have no idea what these people have gone through to get here. I just want to do everything I can to help them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment