Friday, February 5, 2010

Burmese Refugees are treated like Animals ( Part 2 )

    The true story of Refugees robbed by Taxi driver in Kalau Lampur

By Myanmar Refugees,

                          My family and I went to UNHCR clinic to get medical check up and treatment for her motorcycle accident. It was on 31st Jan,2010. We have spent all the money we have for my wife's treatment almost about RM 1000. As you know, we, refugees, are not allowed to work for our living. Some of us are bagging for their daily food. Some of us are working without being fear for their family's need. Most of them were arrested and jailed for up to 4 months, for those who are holding UNHCR card recognized as a refugees by United Nation High Commission For Refugees Agency. 

                      To earn RM.1000 is not really easy for refugees in Malaysia. It is worth Life and Dead. I have no idea to continue our living the whole months because I have spent all we have for my wife and my daughter at the hospital. Being a refugee leader is a blessed. There are lots of people who I have helped when they got problem. Now, the turn is to me and my family. This time, I called some of them who I have helped before and I requested them to pray for us. 

                        Why don't I call others ? Other people without any experience in an accident or suffering, they cannot understand the one who is suffering from the accident. This is the reason why I called the people I helped before. As I believe they shared with me. They sent me some money for my wife and my family. They pray for me. These are the real friends of mine when I am in need of help. Some local Ngos and Churches helped me for some. In this way, we can continue her further more treatment.

                        On 31st Jan, 2010, early Sunday Morning, we were leading to the Clinic for my wife's medical check up. We took a Taxi driven by a Nepal driver with Fat body structure. The driver cannot speak english very well. We asked the driver we are going to Brikefield. He said "OK, Yes". He didn't want to use Metre. I asked him to switch on the meter, then we will take the Taxi. He was quiet, just when we reached Budu, he made the right turn to KLCC. I thought he was willing to use the way through KLCC to Brikefield. He took the High Way to Ipoh, we have gone so far from KL. I checked the meter, it reached to RM.20. I knew we were not on the right way and the driver was trying to make money from us. Due to the fix time of the clinic, I had to ask the driver to stop his car and not to continue driving. I was getting angry and I asked him to stop on High way. I though I would call the police for help if he did not accept to stop his car. For my request for many time to stop the car, he finally stop the Taxi on the side of High Way. The Taxi Number was HB 8262. And I gave him RM.20 according to the Meter. He asked me more. I didnot give him. Why? The way he treated us was totally cheated. What I understand is that is a kind of robbery. We had to take another taxi driven by chinese to the clinic.

            I had the same experience with the Taxi driver in 2008. I was with six of  refugees childern whom I taught english under the community. I hired the Taxi from Ikan Emas to Cheras Carefore. The Taxi driver was Indian. He drove the Taxi a long way to Kepong and we were asked by the Taxi driver to give him all the money we had. The children were very scared and gave him all the money they have. The dropped us on the way to Kepong and run away. We had to take another taxi driven by Malay to home. The parents of the students said, "You all were lucky, Money is not very important but life" Thank you for saving children.

I recalled the people under the community. There have been lots of people who are robbed by the Taxi. Mostly, the refugees are robbed by the Taxi driver from Budu Raya Bus Station. The Taxi driver who robbed the rufugees are mostly Indians around Budu Raya and Cheras. 

What is the reason happening this kind of robbery  to Reifugees in Malaysia?

 One may have a better answer for us. They know we are refugees in Malaysia,we have no protection and we cannot call the police for help. To carry money along with can cause danger to every refugee in Malaysia.

May the people be safe from Robbery!

2 comments:

  1. It is not only refugee, we Malaysian from outside KL and tourist met the same problem. They normally will reluctant to take you, saying traffic jam, no customer on return trip, going to go home etc. And will not use meter, they will request for higher fare even at short distance.
    However there are good taxi driver who charged according to the meter.

    Reported the taxi driver to the authority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. ostéopathie boulogne

    ReplyDelete