Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Interview: 77 Years Old and Still Vagabonding

One of the best parts of running this vagabonding blog is the opportunity to meet new and interesting people.
At least weekly I get email from female readers asking about how safe it is to travel alone, or asking my advice about where to travel as a woman.
I was wondering how to best answer these emails when Sallie popped up and I knew right away that I had to share her amazing story with everyone out there - she is an inspiration no matter who you are.
Sal is a 77 year old woman traveling the world alone.
Starting at the age of 18, Sal has been to 28 countries, many of which could be called “dangerous”, has been living in Mexico for the last 5 years, and has no plans to stop any time soon.  In fact, even after being diagnosed with Leukemia two and a half years ago, she is in the process of planning her next year long adventure.
She spent 2 years serving in the Peace Corps in Malaysia, lived in China for 3.5 years as a teacher, and worked in a Burmese refugee camp.  She was in Israel-Palestine just weeks after a bombing and Nigeria in 1981 when according to her there were “young soldiers with big guns and little food”.
I think I have a new hero.
Like many long term travelers have learned, Sal believes in the Law of Attraction - that your outlook and confidence attract good things to happen while you are on the road.
How I would love to sit down and listen to some of this woman’s wisdom.  As is the case with most vagabonds, its hard to predict where she will be, so I had to settle with a remote interview instead.
If you are currently traveling, dreaming of vagabonding, or just want a dose of inspiration in your life to help exchange obstacles and excuses for dreams - read on!
Sal with some friends
Sal with some friends
Greg: How old were you when you started traveling and how long have you been out?
Sal: My first trip was when I was 18, I had been working, and saved enough money to fly from San Francisco to Miami.
Since then, I’ve been travelling off and on, between my work as a teacher, as well as family obligations, until now…and now I am 77 years old and planning my next year-long adventure.
Greg: So you are living in Mexico now?
Sal: I have been living in Mexico for the past five years.  It’s a very special place for  its mountain desert location, colonial architecture, and rich indigenous culture..  The weather is great as well.
I chose to build a little house in Mexico because of all of the above reasons, besides the fact that it’s not in the U.S., but close enough  for easy, fast, return if I wish.  Also, the country itself has such a variety of nature’s gifts; beaches, mountains, deserts, a vast array of varying flora and fauna, and best of all, the people, who  are so warm and welcoming.
Greg: How many countries have you been to now?
Sal: I’ve been to 28 countries, lived in nine of them, from 2 months to 3.5  years each.
Greg: What are your favorites?
Sal: My favorite countries have to do with the people I’ve met and my involvement in the local communities.  For me, using that criteria, I found the Egyptians to be the most outgoing, friendly, receptive, humorous, and curious.
My two years in Peace Corps in Malayasia, of course was a special experience as well as my 3.5 years living in China and working as a teacher.  I can’t leave out my teacher-training experience at a Burmese refugee camp in Thailand, where I also was priviledged to paint some murals for the clinic.
Of course France and Italy, the Island of Stromboli stand out, as well as Greece, and  all of South East Asia.
Greg: Have you had any close calls in so many years of travel?
Sal: Perhaps Nigeria was the most difficult because when I was there in 1981, it was wall to wall with young soldiers with big guns and little food available.
I don’t remember having any close calls, except some rough airplane rides.  I didn’t even have any close calls when I was in Israel-Palestine just weeks after the bombing in Gaza stopped last February.
Greg: Do you go back to the same places?
Sal: I don’t return to the same places as a rule, except when I was living in Athens and had to go to Turkey every three months for visa reasons.  I think I’ve returned to Bangkok three times.  Hope to go again.
Greg: Any plans to “settle down”?
Sal: The phrase, “settle down” has a strange feel for me.  I suppose, given what I am told about the realities of life, my body will perhaps try to slow me down, so I might be forced to stop travelling.  But, until then, I’m half out the door and on my way…..!
Greg: How do other travelers receive you on the road?
Sal: I have found that young people are often very receptive, open to friendship, sometimes seeking my “motherly” advice, and have even invited me to travel with them, join them in seeing sights, having meals together, and they have also accepted my invitations to do the same. It all feels very good.
Greg: How has traveling changed for you over the years?
Sal: In the past few years, I have found more “older” travellers and middle aged travellers  who’ve “dropped out:” and have chosen to free themselves from the shackles imposed by “selling their labor.”  Also  there are  those who realize that life is more than just earning money to consume more and more needless goods.
Since I was diagnosed with leukemia 2.5 years ago  I have to be a bit smarter about where I travel to avoid ongoing epidemics that might exist and also I  take more rest stops, and  sit in cafes a little longer.
Greg: Do you always travel alone?
Sal: I prefer to travel alone   because it  gives me optimum freedom, I know it’s not for everyone.  Some do better  going with a friend or friends or in an arranged tour.  Whatever feels best is best for  that person.
Greg: What one last bit of advice can you offer to travelers?
Sal: Its necessary to go with a positive outlook, a sense of self confidence, proper preparation, and a feeling that there is no other thing you’d rather be doing.
The “self fullfilling” prophesy works here; “if you expect a good outcome, its likely to come.”  So don’t waste any time.   Get on with your dreams and onto the road NOW!
There you have it.  Words of motivation from a woman who despite being diagnosed with Leukemia stopped making excuses and continued to follow her dreams.
Sal was excited about the opportunity to help inspire other female travelers and graciously offered her email for questions that people might have - drop her an email and wish her luck on her next journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment